Let the record show:
- Unfortunately, I have no relationship with my oldest son (who has had little to no contact with me for years now). This is his choice as I have tried, but have failed to find a way to continue what was a difficult relationship in the first place (due to the disintegration of my first marriage and the vitriol that ensued). In the process, I have no relationship with my young grand-daughter either (I have never seen her nor have we ever been given any opportunity to interact with her). Much to my dismay. I have no clue how to repair this. We opened up our home to him and his girlfriend in 2008/2009 and was told within a week that I am a horrible man (by his girlfriend) despite our opening up our home to them and trying to make everyone welcome... getting them acclimated, finding transportation for them, etc). Little did we know at the time my ex-wife was in constant contact with his girlfriend at the time (sabotage by text/cell phone..... she might as well have been in our house the entire time). We immediately made things right by flying them back to Washington so they could continue on with their lives (with no animosity on our part given). I can count on one hand how many times we have communicated since.
- Unfortunately, I have no relationship with my daughter. This is her choice as I have tried, but have failed to find a way to continue what was a difficult relationship in the first place (due to the disintegration of my first marriage). In the process, I have no relationship with my grand-son either. Much to my dismay. There is much to this story, but I am quite sure the impression is that I am at fault for all of this.
- Fortunately, I no longer have any relationship or communication with my ex wife. The people who know me know why, and the above are two very good reasons why that remains so.
- Fortunately, I have no relationship with my father. Those who know me know why and there is no reason to rehash it. I pray that someday, I can forgive him for all of what transpired and that we may be father and son again...... but that day appears very far away (and further away every day).
- I have no relationship with my sister. This is my choice as I have tried for years to help her right her ship, but have failed to find a way to continue what was a difficult relationship in the first place (due to the continued chaos in her life). I have put up a boundary in order to protect both myself and my family from her constant legal issues (especially as she tried to harm me directly by involving authorities on multiple occasions despite my and my brother's attempts to keep the state from taking everything she held dear) and because of who she chooses to cohabitate with. In the process, I have no relationship with my niece and nephew either as a result. Much to my dismay.
- Last summer, I stopped interacting with my brother. Because of the fallout from my sister's situation and because I had not paid a $2,000 debt to my brother and sister-in-law from 2002 when I had no reliable car (I have offered and it was stated to me "not to worry about it" at the time and when I tried, it was rebuffed.... but apparently now it is stated that I have never offered to pay it back and that I am delusional). This is my fault as I should have paid him and her back no matter what was said (they were caring enough to be there in my time of need and I should have done so... so there would be no misinterpretation in the future and because it would have been the right thing to do). I will make this right, but the damage is done. At this point, too many damaging things have been stated to make this relationship heal, My wife tried to find a way to have us both reconcile, but she is crying right now (which is my fault) because I won't fix the relationship in time for Christmas so she can have him over like in years past. I apparently have to do so despite the fact that his actions won't change in my presence which will only escalate the issue, but heaven forbid I place a condition of not mentioning anything which may cause strife during the holiday, but in my view.... sometimes the bad blood gets so bad that there is no reconciliation and that the holiday will be at least survivable without any drama for a change. I am tired of the comparisons of just who was harmed by our father the most (and that the subject always seems to come up is infuriating). The fact is, we were both uniquely harmed by the events of our childhood. It isn't a contest. It was during our child-hood and needs to remain there.... as I am desperately trying to get past that (as it consumes every aspect of how I react to things as it is and I am tired of being a slave to that). I take my lumps in not taking a Christ-like approach in resolving this or taking the lead in trying to be calm in this storm, however..... the other party is not a practicing Christian (and is too negative an influence in my life for me to try to rectify it) so it is better that I concentrate on what is most important in my life (which is my wife's health and my son's future). Also, as his wife has poisoned the well too deeply to rectify this, that makes this doubly difficult as he insists in including her in all correspondence/communication (to which she will use at her disposal to further increase the rancor between all). That is not my idea of a healthy family relationship, so I choose not to participate in it. I am sorry that I am hurting my wife by being this stubborn, but I see no way out of it feeling as I do.
- I have tried to rectify my relationship with my step-daughter. To anyone who knows me, the fact she is in our home at the moment interacting with us and is back to being a part of our lives should show that I do try to rectify situations/relationships. The relationship is not perfect and there is a long way to go. But I am trying (not only for my wife's sake, but for my step-daughter's sake as well).
So, there it is.... out in the open for all to critique. And it is a shame it had to be posted in the first place. I am the first one to say things should not be swept under a rug. I defy my detractors to do the same regarding themselves on an open/public blog.
And to those who are getting to know me at Church, I hope this explains some of the demons I am facing. I have met the enemy.... and he is me. At least I am honest enough to admit it. I look to the Bible and try to wrap my head around these things...... but I fail daily. I wish that wasn't so.
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14
"Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written,” Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, says the Lord. Therefore if you enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head."